Info + Contact
— About me, social media, and how to get in touch
John Tully (b. 1985) Photographer based in New Hampshire.
John Tully (b. 1985) is a New Hampshire based freelance photojournalist who focuses on the backyards and backroads that make up a community. Having worked as a staff photographer for several daily newspapers, the origin of his work stems from community photojournalism and the quiet moments found behind the scenes of everyday life. He is a graduate of the University of Missouri School of Journalism as well as a student at the Danish School of Media and Journalism. Inspired by the early work of the Farm Security Administration during the Great Depression, he is currently focusing on the idea of home and what that means in America, particularly in the rural Northeast.
Instagram as a primary outlet for sharing recent everyday work.
Booking + News
- The Gallery at WREN. Upcoming show- July 2018
- Commissions: NPR, Vice Media, Dove, The New York Times, The Telegraph (U.K.), Religion News Service, The Deseret News, The Colonial Theatre
Interviewed for MUSEA Podcast.
'Pairings.' Kelley Stelling Contemporary. Manchester, NH. Group show
W.R.E.N. BETA program certificate of completion
- Selling prints through WREN at the Mount Washington Hotel
- Launched The River Studio business in Littleton, New Hampshire
- Judge at Michigan Press Photographer's Association (MPPA) Pictures of the Year
Tour de France photo essay project
TIME Magazine, LightBox, 51 Instagram Photographers to Follow in the United States, 2016, New Hampshire
Fly Over Media contributor with Smalltown Landscapes essay
Commissioned by FiveThirtyEight for one week during the New Hampshire presidential primary to capture the fringes of the election process.
- Commissioned by The Washington Post for three days to cover the New Hampshire presidential primary.
- Bernie Sanders for Newsweek Magazine
- TIME Magazine, LightBox, Instagram Photographers to Follow in All 50 States, 2015, North Carolina.
- Daily Yonder, ViewFinder interview. Photographing small towns.
- Found: Curated by Cause Beautiful at Storehouse. Presentation from Instagram takeover.
- Cause Beautiful Organization Instagram takeover.
Inaugural New York Times Lens Blog Portfolio Review, selected participant, 2013
Eddie Adams Workshop XVIII, selected participant, 2005
Pictures Of the Year International (poyi) 61-63, production volunteer
SPJ Sigma Delta Chi Award, The Lobotomy Files, WSJ, team award, 2013
WHNPA Inaugural National Eyes of History, 2013, Award of Excellence
New England AP News Executives Contest, First place, Feature, 2012
NHPA Better Media Contest, Multiple awards, 2012
POYi 68, Award of Excellence, Newspaper Editing Portfolio, Midland Daily News,
Nominated for PDN 30, 2010
Best Of Photojournalism, Third place, Domestic News Picture Story, “D Town,”
Best Of Photojournalism, Second place, Best Use < 75k, Midland Daily News
photo staff, 2010
Best Of Photojournalism, Third place, Best Use < 75k, Midland Daily News
Photo staff, 2009
MPPA POY, Multiple awards, 2008-2010
AP Awards Michigan, Multiple awards including sweepstakes, 2009
NPPA Region 4 Clip Contest, Fourth place overall, 2009
MPPA Clip Contest, First place clip photographer of the year, 2009
Hearst Journalism Awards, Photojournalism, national finalist, San Francisco,
POYi 64, Third place, Picture Editing Portfolio < 100,000, Columbia Missourian
photo staff, 2007